most part, castles in Slovenia were built in the 12th century, mostly
on exposed hills, which were the sites of prehistoric hill forts. The word
castle is used to describe a fortified residence of foreign feudal lords,
constructed on a naturally or artificially protected site. The most important
castles of the Green karst region can be found on the edges of our region: Predjama
Castle in the north, Prem Castle in the south and Snežnik Castle in the south-west
part. Peasant revolts, Turkish invasions and the introduction of firearms were
the reason for additional architectural defence elements being added to these
medieval structures in the 16th century.
set up at the time of Turkish invasions in the late 15th and early
16th century. The fort was constructed from thin and tall walls with
semi-circular towers, most commonly around the previous existing courts and
castles as well as churches. As the name anti-Turk forts suggests, these forts
served as places of refuge from Ottoman plundering expeditions, while at the
same time they were also used as a storage place for all sorts of valuable
things. Peasants stored their food, livestock, clothing and liturgical values.
After the Turk invasions stopped, feudal lords were worried that the
strongholds could become centres of rebellious peasants. This resulted in the
demolishing of almost every fort in the Green karst region.
of Steberk castle (birth place of unhappy lover from Karlovec castle
countess) stand between village Lipsenj and the Križna mountain on the
northeast side of Cerknica lake. The castle was first mentioned (by this name)
in 1274 but considering its remains the castle must be much older. The whole
castle complex was very expansive. It included many central buildings,
surrounded by a protective wall, which was further fortified with towers.
Haasberg Castle is located in the vicinity of Planina near Rakek, on a natural plateau above the River Unica gorge. For a long time it was considered one of the most representative castles in Slovenia, including a beautiful park, the remains of which can still be seen today. The House of Windisch-Graetz was the last known castle owner. The castle was burnt during the Second World War; it was then that the priceless interior was completely destroyed, as well as the Windisch-Graetz family archive and tomb.
Snežnik Castle is the best preserved castle in the Notranjsko Region. All of the inside furnishing, mostly from the 19th century, has been preserved. This castle emanates the pulse of life from the late 19th and early 20th century, and is unlike any other castle in Slovenia. The most noticeable living quarters are the dining room, the “Egyptian” room, and a large hall, refurnished into a wedding hall.
The castle is built on a rock near the River Obrh and Brezno Spring, which has been dammed forming a large pond underneath the castle. The picturesque environment has been carefully remodelled into a park with walking and equestrian trails. East of the castle, manors and other auxiliary buildings can be found, which also contain a small hunting museum.
remains of the Karlovec castle stand right above the sink holes of Little
Karlovica on Cerknica lake. There used to live beautiful countess. The knight
from the Steberk castle from Grahovo, on the other side of water, has
fallen in love with her. But their families were hostile, so the girl was
promised to another. This is the reason why a young man visited his chosen only
in secret. In the shadow of the night he paddled to the Karlovec castle. In order
not to miss the direction, his girl left a lamp on her window shelf. One day
her father has found that out and gave the information to the competitor of his
daughters’ heart. In the following night he moved the lamp above lakes sinkhole
Velika Karlovica. So the young boatman missed the safe path and water carried
him in the rocky underground, where he drowned. Countess then in desperation
threw herself over the castle walls. An old story ends here and so has the
Karlovec castle disappeared from history.
the remains of the old walls and wide defensive moat undoubtedly testify that
Karlovec castle in fact existed. After the appearance of remains we can
conclude that was built in the 12th or the 13th century. The central building
of the castle was in a shape of a tower, surrounded by a defensive wall.
The ruins are accessible by a panoramic road which leads
from the village named Dolenja vas under Javorniki mountain to Gorica and the
village named Dolenje Jezero. It is also used as a popular bicycle trail and
it’s marked with signposts. Visitors are impressed by acropolis from the
Karlovec castle, from where is a wonderful view on Cerknica with surrounding.
Predjama Castle has been hanging from the 123m high rock cliffs in wonderful harmony with the environment for over 700 years. It was once home of the notorious Erazem Lueger. You can witness life as it was then in the refurbished and refurnished quarters. The living quarters, the chapel, and the dungeon are a must see, as well as certain pieces of weapons, oil paintings, and the Pieta dated 1420. Life at that time can also be experienced in the annual Erasmus Knights’ Tournament (link to Traditional Events). The castle is also a popular wedding location.
At the eastern part of the Mašun forest estate, two towers are located, which were once part of a hunting outpost. The original building was erected for the purposes of the foresters in 1874. In 1888, a natural park was organized at Mašun. The building has endured several mishaps in the past, among others, it was destroyed by fire in 1919. Since being rebuilt, it became a hunting outpost. In November 1943, the castle was razed again. Of the whole complex, only two romantic towers have been preserved.
Ravbar Tower or the Small Castle. Once a mighty castle, all that is left of it is a round multi-storey tower. Inside, a magnificent ribbed astral ceiling and an abandoned well in the courtyard can be found. The castle was intended to protect an important trade route, which has always connected the Adriatic coast with the Ljubljana basin. According to Valvasor, the House of Neuhaus once again brought life to the ruins in the 11th century-they erected a new castle, named Kleinhausel, or Small Castle (Valvasor 1877, 309). Mr J. Katern, resident of Planina, has also reported that the Small Castle is constructed on top of Roman foundations, and that once, it was accompanied by a wall leading across the valley towards the road, before it was demolished and the stones used to construct roads. It is also the archaeological site of several pila shafts, kept by the Postojna Notranjsko Museum.
You can take a nice walk on a foot path
through the beautiful forest just above the city of Lož. At the top you will see the remains of a magnificient castle
, that was built in early 12th century.
Prem Castle is situated above the Prem Village, about 9 kilometres from Ilirska Bistrica. The castle was built before 1213. This compact L-shaped two-storey building comprises a Romanesque nucleus including an extension and a small courtyard. The inner courtyard was decorated with Renaissance arcades. A small well stands in the middle of the courtyard. The castle is also a popular wedding location.
Monday to Saturday: from 08.00 to 19.00
Sunday: from 10.00 to 19.00OPEN: